Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Rainy Day in San Francisco

The plan was to go Thrift Shopping which normally is pretty good here because there are a number of Thrift Stores within walking distance of Suvanna's house. But today was not meant to be that day. We got started on our sojourn but Mother Nature brought cold rainy weather and we ended up in the video store instead. Being from Southern California and not wanting to pay to check a bag, I did not have the accoutrements for rainy and cold. The video store here is not like the Blockbuster Stores of old. They are dens of old and new, esoteric and eccentric, foreign and domestic. The folks behind the counter are hilarious. We wanted something light, preferably comedic. Suvanna picked 50/50 which neither of us had seen. An uncommon phenom. It was about a guy (who was the younger brother on Third Rock From the Sun) who gets cancer. Great subject. Not.

Suvanna is kind of a Nurse Jackie afficianado (read "freak") so we watched season 3. What a trip. Her drug addiction and outright desperation were done well but they made some mistakes. For instance: a sherm is a Sherman cigarette dipped in PCP. They said it was a cigarette dipped in formaldehyde. Maybe that was done in New York but as far as I know formaldehyde isn't that great of a buzz. Maybe a huffer would know, that wasn't my thing. After Laura got here, we rented another movie called "I think I'm a Cyborg" which was in Korean with subtitles about a young girl committed to an institution. I don't recommend it, couldn't get through it.

There's a place on the corner of Barnett and 22nd street called Jay's Philly Cheesesteaks. They make the best seitan (gluten) sandwiches. It tastes so much like meat but isn't. Love it! Dinner was leftovers including mounds of brocolli
with homemade cheesesauce, soybean and potato curry, and brown rice.

An interesting thing has happened since I've been here. I go to bed at 10ish and wake up at 9ish. I'm sleeping on a futon that is hard as a rock and was convinced this was an untenable sleeping situation but usually I don't sleep that great and I do on this rock-like bed so should I get rid of my memory foam mattress at home and buy a rock? Decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

  1. I liked 50/50.
    I also liked the Korean one which was a totally wacked comedy, but was too tired at that point to watch...

    ReplyDelete