Thursday, March 7, 2013

Wherever you go, there you are...

I was in Barnes and Noble the other day and a came across a book in the "discount" bin called, "Wherever you go there you are" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. I flipped through it and landed on a page where the sentence, "This is it" stood out to me. I started to realize that this is all there is. This moment I'm in is the only one I have. I typically don't like the moment I'm in, wishing for another moment that will be better. That this one isn't good enough. I think in terms of "It will be better later" or I'll lose weight next year, Next time I'll be happier, etc. When am I going to do those things if I don't do them now? How will I have the experience to think that way in the future if I don't think that way now? How will I know what to do, if I don't know what to do now. This is it. This is real life. This is all I have. These are the skills I have right now. If I want something different, I'd better do something different. Living in wishful thinking leaves me wishing for some other life, some other reality than the one I have. There is no other reality. This is it.

1 comment: